Holiday Shopping Security Reminders
Black Friday and Cyber Monday are the busiest online shopping days and hackers go into overdrive mode. As you finish (or start) your holiday shopping, be wary of certain situations that could expose your personal information to hackers and scammers. Here's what you should look out for:
- Make sure the site you go to is the real one. There are thousands of fake sites that look just like the real thing, always type the address in yourself.
- Don't click on links in email with special offers; instead, search for the website yourself.
- Do not respond to alerts via email or text that you have received a package and personal information is needed.
- Do not download mobile apps promising big shopping savings. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
- Be wary of online discount coupons.
- Only use credit cards online, never debit cards.
During this time of year, it is especially important to stay alert. If you think you might have been scammed, stay calm and call your credit card company to cancel your card and request a new one. Happy Shopping!